- Tell us about your background, how long you’ve been at AMCMA and what brought you here?
I have been at AMCMA for two years this December. I worked in vet med for 3 years before I moved to Texas to pursues something different. It ended up not working out and when I came back, AMCMA was the first and only place I applied.
- How long have you been an Registered Veterinary Technician and what was that process like?
I have been an RVT since 2018. I graduated college with an associates degree at Hickey College’s Vet Tech Institute. It was a long process but worth it in the end. My best advice is not to second guess your answers on your VTNE.
- In your view, what is the role of a Registered Veterinary Technician within the clinic?
I think that the role of being an RVT involves everything that the clinic assistants do, but also managing controlled drugs which is a big responsibility
- What is your favorite part about being an RVT?
My favorite part of being an RVT is just feeling accomplished to have made it that far. Passing the VTNE is not easy, and it’s something I’ll always be proud of.
- What do you feel is the most challenging part of being an RVT?
I think that regardless of being an RVT or an assistant, this job is very mentally and physically taxing. I would say everything is challenging but also rewarding. Having a license doesn’t change the challenges that we all deal with.
- What is your favorite species/breed of animal to work with?
I’m a crazy cat lady. I would personally rather work with cats than anything else.
- Do you have any pets at home?
Currently I have one dog, three cats and a lot of fish
- What do you like to do in your free time?
In my free time, I like to spend time at home with my girlfriend and my four animals. It’s my little oasis, and we are always working on some kind of home project.
The Animal Medical Center of Mid-America has veterinarians at three locations that can answer questions about your pet’s health. Call 314.951.1534 to schedule an appointment.